Dry Eye Clinic
Dry, irritated, itchy eyes are one of the most common conditions ophthalmologists see daily. In the past, treatment was limited to the use of artificial tears. Over the last several years, we have learned a great deal more about dry eye disease and can tailor a specific plan for each patient. We used to think that dry eye is fairly simple to treat. Just use some artificial tears when needed. We know that dry eye disease is a much more complex problem with many causes and variations. Patients commonly complain of ocular dryness, burning, foreign body sensation, difficulty wearing contact lenses, or blurred vision while reading.
The Dry Eye Clinic aims to treat various symptoms related to dry eye and related conditions that include but are not limited to:
- blurred vision
- blurred vision or irritated eyes while working on a computer
- gritty, itching, or stinging sensation
- excessive tearing; redness; discharge
- eyes feeling tired
- increased light sensitivity
- constant use of eye drops
- eyes feeling dry
- discomfort may worsen late in the day
- crusty eyes upon awakening in the morning.
- Can you describe your symptoms?
- Do you recall when you first began experiencing symptoms?
- Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?
- Do other members of your family have dry eyes?
- Have you tried over-the-counter eyedrops? Did they provide relief?
- Are your symptoms worse in the morning or late in the day?
- What medications do you take?
- Have you had any radiation to the head or neck?
You will be given a survey to complete asking detailed questions about your condition. After the examination and tests, Dr. Keszei will provide a plan specifically designed for you.
The most common conditions that cause dry and irritated eyes include:
*Dry Eye Disease
*Keratoconjunctivitis sicca related to diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, scleroderma, Sjogren’s syndrome, thyroid disorders, and vitamin A deficiency
*Meibomian gland dysfunction
*Previous eye Surgery, especially LASIK
*Medications including antihistamines, decongestants, hormone replacement therapy, antidepressants, and drugs for high blood pressure, acne, birth control, and Parkinson’s disease
*Head and neck radiation
After a thorough exam and appropriate testing, Dr. Keszei will design a treatment plan specifically for you!